Let's talk about...Spring Fair

2/21/2016

After checking my blog today I realised that a week passed and I still haven't talked about my experience of attending Spring Fair! To be fair it's based on the fact that I have two blogs - one on my website - which by the way you should definitely check out, as I've added portfolio pages with some of my previous work and this one. So while I updated the one on my website I completely forgot to do the same here.
For all those who have been to see Spring Fair - you already have some idea of what it was like, for those who haven't but have opportunity to go check it out next year! Unfortunately it's for people in the trade only, retailers, wholesalers, or students- like me, but it's worth going to see what's out there in the industry. The only pictures I took, were not even jewellery related - while walking through halls, I saw this huge puffy dress, and viewers were encouraged to take photo of it and post it on Twitter - I don't have Twitter as of yet, so I'll put it here!



 I'm a sucker for pretty dresses...But back to the topic. I've been twice to see show - on Sunday and Tuesday, as part of school visit. On Sunday I've walked through about half of Jewellery & Watch show, and walked through Fashion and Home Halls. I was very tired - NEC is a huge building, got lost few times while searching for Hall 18 - that's were J&W takes place, and it's nearly at the end. I collected some stuff, and was incredibly grateful that I was clever enough to come with someone to carry half of my stuff.





 


 Sunday made me realise that I need to plan my visit more. I've had exhibitor lists with descriptions of each company, so on Monday evening I've spent maybe about an hour just writing a list of who I want to see.

 I wrote down several companies and brands I admire, which I wanted to see for inspirational value, like Niki Lissoni and Fei Liu. 




Some Birmingham based companies - I wanted to enquire if they design and manufacturing in UK (which some of them - like Continental didn't because they manufacture abroad, or didn't because they are wholesalers - like Magnetic Jewellery). I got contact details for Hockley Mint - they manufacture and design in UK and I could possibly send my CV to them.


I've talked to insurance companies - Crownsway, T.H March and GJIS - and got some data for my business plan.


Packaging companies, to see what they offer in terms of customizing boxes...


 DelCam stand - which I couldn't miss as the ArtCam is my favourite software!


 As I was walking through the halls, I landed in Retail Solutions, and found great company called Moo - they print professional business cards - and allowed me to take a lot of samples! If you are interested and why wouldn't you be? Check Moo's website!




Spring Fair List of Useful Observations

Some stuff I noticed during my visit - for visitors and exhibitors as well  (list might apply to other trade and craft shows):

1. Attire is important. When I came in on Sunday, I've had more casual wear, and I didn't leave a coat in the cloakroom. Not a lot of people talked to me. On Tuesday I dressed like I would if I was going to job interview or a workplace and a lot of people asked me if I was retailer! This proves that dressing professionally leads to belief that you are a professional and you are treated professionally.

2. Planning a visit is a must. Take your time, and decide who you want to see. Sometimes it's good to take reconnaissance - visit at least once before actual visit so you get an idea of where people you want to speak to are.

4. Talk to people. Compile a list of questions and ask them. Even if you are shy - like I am - use it as an opportunity to learn more about industry and get contacts. They are people - like you. They may not always be great to talk to - especially if they notice you are just a student - but don't take it on personal level. They are just businessman, making sure their company grows.

5. If you meet someone who seems interested in you and happy to help, talk to them as much as possible, get their business card, if you have your own give it to them.

6. Be polite. You are dressed as professional, act professional. Don't be vulgar. Don't argue with people.

7. Take advantage of other non-jewellery related exhibits. You might interesting company out there - just like I discovered Moo - offering services you might want to use in the future. You might find different ways of exhibiting your jewellery by finding inspiration in non-jewellery exhibits.

Further notices for exhibitors:

a) If you are an exhibitor think about how to make your stand stand out! Professional cabinets, displays in colours linking back to brand, extras - using props to signify lifestyle, or inspiration behind piece.

b)Think about promotional materials - catalogues, leaflets, brochures, business cards, samples. Remember that some people may collect a lot of stuff, but then throw away what they don't need or find interesting. Make sure your promotional material makes them want to keep it!

c)Talk to people - even if they are a student, take your time and use this opportunity so that they can view your brand in a positive light. They are students now, but once they graduate they might become a business owner, and as they saying goes - once burned, twice shy!


I hope this list will come in handy in one way or another, and that this post will be illuminating. 

See you next time and stay golden!!!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook