Let's talk about...insect sculpture

9/15/2015

It was the very first project that I did, back when starting HND Jewellery and Silversmithing. It introduced me to basic metal forming techniques, soldering, cold fixing and gave me first real experience with making something out of metal. It was meant to be sculpture inspired by insects, and a lot of research before I finally decided on what I wanted to do. Looking back, I know that there is a lot of things I didn't know then, and a lot of things I could have done better. But experience is experience, and although my insect is not perfect, I'm proud of what I achieved.

Design development started with tedious research into insects, different kinds - originally I did far more drawings of potential inspiration behind the piece. I drew pages upon pages, using different techniques. I think over time, my research has gotten much more focused, and as I explored my personal style, I knew which details I wanted to focus on. This - again comes from experience.

Praying mantis and its huge comical eyes had big impact on my design.


I absolutely love dragonflies - pattern on their wings is something absolutely spectacular, but I felt it was done far too many times for me to be able to make it new and interesting.

Research lead me to discover lacewings - insects with wings similar to dragonflies, but with a different feel about them.



Design development - combining all of my research to design insect sculpture I could produce.

After I had finished design, and explored it in 3-D using models, I've bought metal and got started.
Finished piece is made in gilding metal and copper. Wings were cold fixed with wires onto main body and certain elements polished back after oxidizing.
A bit of a funny background story - I had many problems with soldering head and one of the tutors had to help me. One day before the deadline, as I was finishing I dropped the piece onto the floor and the head fell off. I went home, depressed, but fortunately I did get the head soldered before deadline. Because of all these head problems I nicknamed my insect Nearly Headless Erick - courtesy of Gryffindor ghost from Harry Potter.

That's all for today - remember to keep your head cool - and attached.

                                                              Stay golden!!!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook