Let's talk about...making pendant from Dissolve Collection and laser welding task

1/27/2016

It's possible that I didn't talk about it previously, but I decided against making bracelet from Dissolve Collection, with main reasons being the cost of production and time - that's why for final piece I've been making pendant. It's been quite a long process, and... Well maybe I'll start with some visuals:






 As you can see it's pretty much done - nothing is as satisfying as seeing your design come to life - feel its heaviness, how solid it is...
As a side note, I've completed laser welding task, so I can finally share with you what it was about. We received the same cast ring with missing claws (at least some of them were, but majority was just cast too well) and we were to drill a hole for silver wire to thread through, laser weld it, and fill two last holes on the shoulders. It was pretty straightforward, and not too difficult (although because of the way welder is positioned, I found it difficult to reach properly inside it, leading me to believe that my arms are too short).


As to laser welder - it allows you to join two same metals together - works great with
gold, steel and silver - other metals - I haven't tried, but I heard they are more difficult to fuse together. So it's pretty much soldering, but without torch, flux and solder. Solder doesn't work well with laser welder. During welding, you put your piece and arms inside chamber, look through sockets to see it from close up, and using centre of the cross on the socket, you press pedal to turn laser beam on - a bit like sewing machine. Laser beam fuses two edges - if that's what you wanted to achieve, or fills in holes. To fill in hole, you need finest filler wire from the same material as the piece you try to fill in and position it so it's at an angle (laser beam stays in the same spot, going straight down). It's great when you need to weld small pattern, or entrap heat sensitive material - like a pearl. A great tool to have - I wish I had one at home.

 That will be all for today - be on the lookout for the next post!

Stay golden!!!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook