Let's talk about...CAD Skills project inspiration

10/04/2015

My course officially started on Monday 28th after Induction Week, and all I can say about it is - very busy.Well seeing how Design for Industry (DFI) is only one year course it was sort of expected. It's still a bit of shock though - a bit like being splashed with cold water on a hot day- after 3 months of freedom and relaxing on holidays. Oh well, it's definitely going to get even more hectic - I have brief for first project and will need to complete 2 commission tasks, design in CAD sculptural 3D piece with moving/mobile elements for competition + prototype, document CAD exploration in Learning Log, and analyse pros and cons of programs that I'm considering to use. How exciting.

So after writing Personal Development Plan (PDP) for this year, I went back to look at my inspirations. Everybody works in different way when developing design, and as you could probably notice from insect sculpture post, I always start with research into inspiration - this time I chose to look back at what I'm inspired by most often, and came back with fairly simple answer - nature.


As a person who grew up in a small village, surrounded by forests, fields and hills, living in one rhythm with changing seasons all around me, nature is and always will be something to admire.
But with nature being as broad a term as for example architecture, I had to scan my Pinterest moodboards (if you don't know what a Pinterest is - shame on you - check it out and you will find out that it's amazing tool to organise your interests in one place) and look at specific elements that I return to back again and again. I found a lot of flowers, but it felt too obvious, seeing as I already explored that interest through Rose Cascade necklace.
This is what I discovered:
Repetition of the specific elements, textures, forms
Spirals in the nature - nautilus shells, ferns, fossils etc.


Intricate details on the skeleton leaves and plants and its similarity to the wings of insects


Spider webs with raindrops on them
Each of these really makes me stop and think: WOW.
If only I could make this elements into jewellery I could die happy.
That's it for now.

                                             Stay golden!!!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook